    SubjectRe: ath5k misbehaving affecting other kernel parts unrelated?
    On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:06:13AM +0100, Pedro Francisco wrote:
    > Greetings!
    >
    > Is it possible a faulty ath5k module to affect diverse parts of kernel causing
    > different oopses to happen referencing things as different as cdrom_ioctl,
    > find_vma, i915_gem_object_get_pages, get_vfs_caps_from_disk,
    > warn_slowpath_common (ath5k_tasklet_rx), proc_lookup_de and
    > _spin_lock(ext4_getattr) [soft lookup]?
    >
    > The task in which such errors happen is capturing packets with kismet during
    > the night. The errors aren't easy to create, sometimes they've already
    > happened when I check the computer in the morning and sometimes they require
    > stirring up the computer a bit such as starting X.
    >
    > I memtested the machine during 7h and no error was detected.
    >
    > I've been trying different kernels but main one is 2.6.32-21-generic, Ubuntu
    > flavour, with linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic installed. I would
    > use 2.6.34-rc5 vanilla if shutdown and suspend worked ;)
    >
    > As such:
    > a) is it "normal"? I thought modules were somewhat isolated these days.
    > b) any advices for debugging? I've yet to have two oopses that are similar....

    It is certainly possible -- improper setup of DMA could be scribbling
    over memory that doesn't belong to ath5k. That sort of thing can be
    ugly to track-down...

    You mentioned Kismet. Do you experience this sort of problem when
    using ath5k for "normal" purposes (e.g. browsing the web)? Or only
    when using it to monitor the network?

    John
    --
    John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
    linville@tuxdriver.com might be all we have. Be ready.

      Last update: 2010-04-23 16:03    [W:0.022 / U:0.660 seconds]