SubjectRe: ath5k misbehaving affecting other kernel parts unrelated?
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:06:13AM +0100, Pedro Francisco wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Is it possible a faulty ath5k module to affect diverse parts of kernel causing
> different oopses to happen referencing things as different as cdrom_ioctl,
> find_vma, i915_gem_object_get_pages, get_vfs_caps_from_disk,
> warn_slowpath_common (ath5k_tasklet_rx), proc_lookup_de and
> _spin_lock(ext4_getattr) [soft lookup]?
>
> The task in which such errors happen is capturing packets with kismet during
> the night. The errors aren't easy to create, sometimes they've already
> happened when I check the computer in the morning and sometimes they require
> stirring up the computer a bit such as starting X.
>
> I memtested the machine during 7h and no error was detected.
>
> I've been trying different kernels but main one is 2.6.32-21-generic, Ubuntu
> flavour, with linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic installed. I would
> use 2.6.34-rc5 vanilla if shutdown and suspend worked ;)
>
> As such:
> a) is it "normal"? I thought modules were somewhat isolated these days.
> b) any advices for debugging? I've yet to have two oopses that are similar....

It is certainly possible -- improper setup of DMA could be scribbling
over memory that doesn't belong to ath5k. That sort of thing can be
ugly to track-down...

You mentioned Kismet. Do you experience this sort of problem when
using ath5k for "normal" purposes (e.g. browsing the web)? Or only
when using it to monitor the network?

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
linville@tuxdriver.com might be all we have. Be ready.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans