SubjectRe: ath5k misbehaving affecting other kernel parts unrelated?
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:06:13AM +0100, Pedro Francisco wrote:
> Greetings!
> Is it possible a faulty ath5k module to affect diverse parts of kernel causing
> different oopses to happen referencing things as different as cdrom_ioctl,
> find_vma, i915_gem_object_get_pages, get_vfs_caps_from_disk,
> warn_slowpath_common (ath5k_tasklet_rx), proc_lookup_de and
> _spin_lock(ext4_getattr) [soft lookup]?
> The task in which such errors happen is capturing packets with kismet during
> the night. The errors aren't easy to create, sometimes they've already
> happened when I check the computer in the morning and sometimes they require
> stirring up the computer a bit such as starting X.
> I memtested the machine during 7h and no error was detected.
> I've been trying different kernels but main one is 2.6.32-21-generic, Ubuntu
> flavour, with linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic installed. I would
> use 2.6.34-rc5 vanilla if shutdown and suspend worked ;)
> As such:
> a) is it "normal"? I thought modules were somewhat isolated these days.
> b) any advices for debugging? I've yet to have two oopses that are similar....

It is certainly possible -- improper setup of DMA could be scribbling
over memory that doesn't belong to ath5k. That sort of thing can be
ugly to track-down...

You mentioned Kismet. Do you experience this sort of problem when
using ath5k for "normal" purposes (e.g. browsing the web)? Or only
when using it to monitor the network?

John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you might be all we have. Be ready.