    SubjectRe: CFQ read performance regression
    On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 09:59 +0200, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:
    > Hi Miklos,
    > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Miklos Szeredi <> wrote:
    > > Jens, Corrado,
    > >
    > > Here's a graph showing the number of issued but not yet completed
    > > requests versus time for CFQ and NOOP schedulers running the tiobench
    > > benchmark with 8 threads:
    > >

    > > It shows pretty clearly the performance problem is because CFQ is not
    > > issuing enough request to fill the bandwidth.
    > >
    > > Is this the correct behavior of CFQ or is this a bug?
    > This is the expected behavior from CFQ, even if it is not optimal,
    > since we aren't able to identify multi-splindle disks yet. Can you
    > post the result of "grep -r . ." in your /sys/block/*/queue directory,
    > to see if we can find some parameter that can help identifying your
    > hardware as a multi-spindle disk.

    ./scheduler:noop deadline [cfq]

    > > This is on a vanilla 2.6.34-rc4 kernel with two tunables modified:
    > >
    > > read_ahead_kb=512
    > > low_latency=0 (for CFQ)
    > You should get much better throughput by setting
    > /sys/block/_your_disk_/queue/iosched/slice_idle to 0, or
    > /sys/block/_your_disk_/queue/rotational to 0.

    slice_idle=0 definitely helps. rotational=0 seems to help on 2.6.34-rc
    but not on 2.6.32.

    As far as I understand setting slice_idle to zero is just a workaround
    to make cfq look at all the other queues instead of serving one
    exclusively for a long time.

    I have very little understanding of I/O scheduling but my idea of what's
    really needed here is to realize that one queue is not able to saturate
    the device and there's a large backlog of requests on other queues that
    are waiting to be served. Is something like that implementable?

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-04-22 12:25    [W:0.040 / U:46.300 seconds]