SubjectRe: VM performance issue in KVM guests.
On 04/16/2010 05:27 AM, Zhang, Xiantao wrote:

>> When vcpus are pinned to pcpus, there is a 50% chance that a guest's
>> vcpus will be co-scheduled and spinlocks will perform will.
>>
>> When vcpus are not pinned, but affine wakeups are disabled, there is a
>> 33% chance that vcpus will be co-scheduled.
>>
>> When vcpus are not pinned and affine wakeups are enabled there is a 0%
>> chance that vcpus will be co-scheduled.
>>
>> Keeping both vcpus on the same core actually makes sense since they
>> can communicate through the local cache faster than across cores.
>> What we need is to make sure that they don't spin.
>>
>> Windows 2008 can report spinlock spinning through a hypercall. Can
>> you hook to that interface and see if it happens regularly?
>> Altenatively use a PLE capable host and trace the kvm_vcpu_on_spin()
>> function.
>>
> We only tried windows 2003 for the experiments, and have no data related to windows 2008.
> But maybe we can have a try later. Anyway, the key point is we have to enhance the scheduler to let it
> Know which threads are vcpu threads to avoid perf loss in this case.

I have two worries about this approach:

1. Affine wakeups were introduced for a reason; if we disable them
(even just for vcpus), we lost something. Maybe we can tune the
mechanism not to fail, instead of disabling it.

2. Affine wakeups are a scheduler internal detail. How do we explain
what it does? the scheduler may not have affine wakeups in a few years,
yet we'll have an ABI to disable them.

  Last update: 2010-04-17 21:05    [W:0.059 / U:0.396 seconds]