    SubjectRe: USB transfer_buffer allocations on 64bit systems
    From
    On 14 April 2010 17:36, Daniel Mack <daniel@caiaq.de> wrote:
    > On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:08:47AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
    >> > >

    >> > Is there any chance you could push this to -stable? I don't care
    >> > because I always use the latest kernel, but the next Debian stable and
    >> > Ubuntu LTS are going to use 2.6.32.
    >>
    >> No!  Please don't do it: Don't submit the patch and _certainly_ don't
    >> submit it to -stable.  It doesn't fix anything; it only works around a
    >> bug, and at the moment we don't even know if the bug is in the kernel
    >> or in Pedro's hardware (and even though it affects two different
    >> systems of his, nobody else has reported a similar problem).  Papering
    >> over it will only remove the incentive to fix it properly.
    >
    > No worries - I agree. But unfortunately, I'm out of ideas now, and my
    > initial thoughts about what might cause the trouble were abviously not
    > able to explain the issue. Does anyone see further steps of tracking
    > this issue down?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel

    Well if this is a dirty / dangerous hack, what about your first patch?
    I've been testing it for days and has given me no problems.

    The best way to trigger the issue is to connect a dib0700 based DVB
    adapter. All you need is to connect it. Since it polls for the remote
    control every 50 msec, it causes a constant interference. Beware that
    on 2.6.34 this behaviour has been corrected. Other DVB adapters may
    trigger the same issue if they also poll constatly for the rc.

    Regards,
    Pedro