SubjectRe: Poor interactive performance with I/O loads with fsync()ing
> Has the reason for this been identified? Judging from the nature of metadata
> loads, it would seem that it should be substantially easier to implement
> fsync() efficiently.

By design a copy on write tree fs would need to flush a whole
tree hierarchy on a sync. btrfs avoids this by using a special
log for fsync, but that causes more overhead if you have that
log on the same disk. So IO subsystem will do more work.

It's a bit like JBD data journaling.

However it should not have the stalls inherent in ext3's journaling.

-Andi

  Last update: 2010-04-11 19:23    [W:0.088 / U:0.284 seconds]