SubjectRe: ssh server etc doesn't work anymore with net-2.6
David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: Yinghai Lu <yinghai@kernel.org>
> Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 02:32:33 -0700
>
>> server side: 82576 with net-2.6
>> client side: opensuse 11.2 on thinkpad T61 wireless + vpnc
>
> I've pushed out a revert, we'll sort this out in net-next-2.6
> and meanwhile I've started a dialog with the Intel driver
> folks to see if there IGB chip has a problem with handling
> CHECKSUM_PARTIAL packets with a zero length data area.
>
> Thanks for your report.

I was confused at first as to whether it was CHECKSUM_UNNECESSARY
that broke or CHECKSUM_PARTIAL.

After looking at the actual net-2.6 tree I see that it is actually
CHECKSUM_PARTIAL that caused this breakage.

The fact that when this was first implemented we didn't use hw
checksums on dataless packets might not have been an oversight
after all.

As I don't think such packets have been tested all by our kernel
on any NICs, and given the fact that IGB apparently broke, I think
the risk of this change is too high.

However, all is not lost as we can still adopt the approach of
the actual patch subject :) That is, we can use CHECKSUM_UNNECESSARY
for packets checksummed locally by software.

This does need a lot more testing so it should spend some time
in net-next first.

Cheers,
Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>

  Last update: 2010-04-11 12:11    [W:2.012 / U:0.012 seconds]