    SubjectRe: i915 lockup / extreme delay
    Karl Vogel wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Eric Anholt <> wrote:
    >>> That doesnt explain why the box completely locks up on 2.6.34-rc2
    >>> though, where only a cold reboot works.
    >> Missed that part of the message. If there's a regression, bisect
    >> please.
    > Apparently the crash was caused by a hardware bug in the intel chipset
    > which is 8086:2a40 rev 07. While doing the bisect I got an error:
    > DRHD: handling fault status reg 2
    > DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [00:02.0] fault addr dd69a000
    > DMAR:[fault reason 05] PTE Write access is not set
    > After some googling around, I found this bugzilla entry which explains it:
    > The issue appears that the graphics chip is corrupting memory:
    > "Unfortunately, this particular chipset sometimes reads from the GTT, does the
    > translation, then writes the translated address back to the _original_ GTT
    > instead of to the shadow GTT. That's why you're seeing real physical addresses
    > where you should have 'virtual DMA addresses', and you get the faults. "
    > Adding "intel_iommu=igfx_off" to the kernel command line resolved the issue.
    > The fedora kernel automatically disables this when it detects this particular
    > chipset revision.
    > As for the freeze/slowdown right after booting, sysprof shows that more than 77%
    > of the time is spent inside: drm_mode_getconnector

    I'm waiting for the encoder/connector stuff to get merged before I
    either pester people about that bug again or try to fix it myself.

    You can try the same hack I use (comment out the initialization of all
    digital outputs) if you don't use them -- that completely fixes it for me.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-04-01 15:13    [W:0.024 / U:104.884 seconds]