    SubjectRe: The gregkh patch scripts

    On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 03:54:25PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
    > Let's ask some other people on the USB list (CC'ed). My main concern
    > is to avoid rebasing too often, whichever source-code management system
    > is used.

    personally, I'm more used to git and find it difficult (or annoying) when
    I need to rebase my own patches on top of Greg's quilt tree. git
    quiltimport doesn't work always and I have to refresh patches on my own
    and run git quiltimport later again.

    Moving to a git tree would help me, but then again, I don't want to
    become a burden. Whatever is better for Greg, I'll be adapating to ;-)

    What I use currently to have a tree which people can pull from and still
    be able to rebase on top of Greg's patches is something like:

    $ git fetch linus
    $ git reset --hard linus/master
    $ git quiltimport --patches gregkh
    $ git rebase greg my_patches
    $ git merge -s ours master
    $ git checkout master
    $ git merge my_patches

    it helps although rebuilding the tree always is a bit messy :-p

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-03-08 07:29    [W:0.024 / U:154.892 seconds]