SubjectRe: The gregkh patch scripts
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 03:54:25PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> Let's ask some other people on the USB list (CC'ed). My main concern
> is to avoid rebasing too often, whichever source-code management system
> is used.

personally, I'm more used to git and find it difficult (or annoying) when
I need to rebase my own patches on top of Greg's quilt tree. git
quiltimport doesn't work always and I have to refresh patches on my own
and run git quiltimport later again.

Moving to a git tree would help me, but then again, I don't want to
become a burden. Whatever is better for Greg, I'll be adapating to ;-)

What I use currently to have a tree which people can pull from and still
be able to rebase on top of Greg's patches is something like:

$ git fetch linus
$ git reset --hard linus/master
$ git quiltimport --patches gregkh
$ git rebase greg my_patches
$ git merge -s ours master
$ git checkout master
$ git merge my_patches

it helps although rebuilding the tree always is a bit messy :-p

--
balbi