    SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

    >>> Huh, what? My homedir is on a 4KiB LBS/PBS drive and has been for
    >>> ~2 years.

    Tejun> By default, they aren't aligned properly, are they?

    Single partition. I did the alignment manually.

    Tejun> libata is broken for logical 4KiB ATA devices tho. I'll fix it
    Tejun> up.

    Matthew implemented support for this a while back...

    Tejun> I'm just a bit worried that it might generate a lot of frustrated
    Tejun> bug reports. Well, maybe we should just advise users to install
    Tejun> windows first and then install Linux.

    Unfortunately there is no simple solution given that we can't go back in
    time and fix legacy DOS/XP behavior.

    The 1-alignment jumper (that some drives have) fixes things for the
    first partition but will mess up our alignment for subsequent ones
    unless the firmware actually reports the shift. So no matter what we do
    the user will have to have a bare minimum of knowledge about 512-byte
    LBS/4 KB PBS drives. That sucks. But even Windows users are presented
    with extra documentation and alignment utilities during the transition.

    Having a 1 MB alignment by default and hoping that devices that lie will
    be 0-aligned is the best we can do, I think.

    Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-03-09 04:13    [W:0.020 / U:1.544 seconds]