    SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

    >> Huh, what? My homedir is on a 4KiB LBS/PBS drive and has been for ~2
    >> years.

    hpa> For > 2 TiB drives with 4 KiB logical sectors and MS-DOS partition
    hpa> tables, it is.

    Ah, that. Already fixed, I believe.

    >> With regards to XP compatibility I don't think we should go too much
    >> out of our way to accommodate it. XP has been disowned by its master
    >> and I think virtualization will take care of the rest.

    hpa> I think that's is wildly optimistic,

    I don't expect XP to go away any time soon. But do I think that the
    number of fresh XP installs in combination with Linux will be fairly
    limited. And general lack of hardware enablement will eventually kill
    off XP on raw metal.

    I think it's ok that we have stop-gap solutions in place for
    interoperability. But I wouldn't want to waste all our resources on
    designing for the past. I'm much more interested in making sure that
    single-boot Linux is doing the right thing.

    >> FWIW, recent fdisk has a command line flag that will enable/disable
    >> DOS compatible layout.

    hpa> Yes, unfortunately it is still on by default.

    I agree that this is a don't-be-broken option and I would prefer it the
    other way around (I know that's the plan for the next release. I just
    hope the distributions get things right).

    --
    Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering

      Last update: 2010-03-08 21:05    [W:0.023 / U:30.708 seconds]