    SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.
    On 03/08/2010 07:41 AM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

    > Martin> There are 4 KB LBS SSDs out there but in general the industry is
    > Martin> sticking to ATA for local boot.
    >
    > Martin> Thus implying that ATA doesn't support 4 KB LBS, just that
    > Martin> people stick to the tried-and-true 512.
    >
    > *sigh* I haven't had my breakfast tea yet...
    >
    > What I meant to say was that I know ATA supports 4 KB LBS and that
    > nobody appears to care about it.

    Well, apparently Western Digital are looking at it for USB drives due to
    XP compatibility requirements -- those presumably are ATA internally and
    use a USB-ATA bridge.

    On the flipside, though, there really is very little net benefit to 4K
    as opposed to 512 byte logical sectors: the additional protocol overhead
    is relatively minimal, and as long as writes are aligned full blocks,
    there shouldn't be any additional overhead on either the OS or the drive
    side. On the plus side, you get full compatibility with the existing
    software stack. The equation really seems rather simple.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2010-03-08 19:53    [W:0.022 / U:149.240 seconds]