    SubjectRe: KVM usability
    On 03/07/2010 11:56 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
    > Hi Avi,
    > (slightly off-topic)
    > On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Avi Kivity<> wrote:
    >> perf really is wonderful, but to be really competitive, and usable to more
    >> developers, it needs to be in a graphical environment. I want 'perf report'
    >> output to start out collapsed and drill down by clicking on a tree widget.
    >> Clicking on a function name opens its definition. 'perf annotate' should
    >> display annotations on my editor window, not in a pager. I should be able
    >> to check events on a list, not using 'perf list'.
    > People keep bringing this up but I don't quite agree. Mac OS X has
    > "shark" which is pretty much what you describe above. However, having
    > used both, I prefer perf's simple UI for two reasons: it's much easier
    > to automate perf commands and text-based reports are superior for
    > sharing results (and keeping track of results when doing performance
    > optimizations).

    Yes, you (and me as well). But most people are quite unlike new and
    me. There's a reason GUIs dominate today, and there are even a few
    kernel developers that don't use mutt for reading email.

    Even for command-line-happy people, GUIs still have an advantage in that
    it is much easier to discover features by exploring the UI vs. reading
    manual pages.

    > That said, AFAICT, it should be pretty simple to implement a
    > shark-like UI with GTK as current perf code is pretty good fit for
    > that. I've pondered about doing that myself but quite frankly, I don't
    > see any big gains in that.

    Because you are only interested in your own itches (which is perfectly
    legitimate, but will keep perf's userbase down).

      Last update: 2010-03-07 11:15    [W:0.020 / U:0.328 seconds]