SubjectRe: Making Xorg easier to test (was Re: [git pull] drm request 3)
On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 10:22:27AM -0500, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Carlos R. Mafra <crmafra2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why can't there be a 'Linus Torvalds' for Xorg accepting patches from various
> > maintainers and keeping the whole thing tied up? Why can't it mimic the
> > 'make menuconfig' way of selecting what to compile to have the guarantee that
> > the whole thing will simply work nicely together?
>
> You must not follow X development at all. His name is Keith Packard.

Except that if you look at X lately, you'll realise that we do not have
the resources to even come close to being able to do this properly. We
struggle to support what we have already today, and we've still been
hoping to create a real API, instead of the sad joke that is
/usr/include/xorg/*.h, for the last few years. But we don't have enough
people (or at least enough people who aren't busy with the other parts
of their day jobs, or kids, or burnout, or whatever) to do it.

I understand that you guys are upset about this, so maybe you'd like to
donate, say, 10% of your developer base to help out? That'd be pretty
ace.

Cheers,
Daniel

  Last update: 2010-03-05 16:43    [W:0.543 / U:0.052 seconds]