SubjectRe: [git pull] drm request 3

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Stephane Marchesin wrote:

> In short, the "don't break user space interfaces" principle is making
> user space code quality worse for everyone. And it makes our lives as
> graphics developers pretty miserable actually

And _my_ point is that if you did a half-way decent job on versioning, you
wouldn't be in the crappy situation you are now.

For chissake, the DRM versioning model is a total disaster. The reason you
can never ever break user space interfaces is exactly because when you
break them, X stops working.

What I suggested is to _keep_ a working model across different versions,
so that you can get out of the rat-hole you are in now (and the rat-hole
you put your users into, and the distributions).

It's simply _not_ acceptable to tie the X server and the kernel version so
tightly together as the crazy DRM model does right now. It's not all that
different from us requiring people to install a new glibc every once in a
while, just because we added a new filesystem. Everybody understands that
that would be totally insane.

Why does the X community not understand simple library versioning?

Linus

  Last update: 2010-03-04 23:57    [W:0.122 / U:0.324 seconds]