SubjectRe: [git pull] drm request 3
On 03/04/2010 02:04 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> "Please note that these drivers are under heavy development, may or may
> not work, and may contain userspace interfaces that most likely will be
> changed in the near future."

Shipping it as the default Fedora driver for NVIDIA hardware makes that
text largely irrelevant.

Jesse said
> Dave and the nouveau guys include the driver in Fedora to get
> much needed test coverage, and make sure the latest bits in rawhide
> work together.

but when it is the default driver, it is the default _production_ driver
for Fedora users, in an official, stable Fedora release.

And the alternative? You said
> F-12 continues to ship the -nv driver, which will work fine with any
> kernel version as long as nouveau is disabled.

FAIL. I actually tried that. Have you? Do you think it is remotely
easy for a technically component, non-Xorg-hacker type to accomplish?

I attempted to use the non-default 'nv' driver just before nouveau was
merged into upstream/staging, because I wanted a development kernel that
actually worked on my Fedora-based devel boxes. It was a complete
exercise in frustration, requiring at least one bugzilla bug report, and
ultimately resulted in failure.

I gave up and waiting for Linus to merge nouveau, which instantly made
my life a lot easier :)

Kernel hacking on Fedora, my own dogfood, has become increasingly
cumbersome because of all these graphics issues. Sometimes it's just
easier to test a modern kernel on an ancient distro, sadly.

Jeff

  Last update: 2010-03-04 20:41    [W:0.193 / U:0.820 seconds]