    SubjectRe: [git pull] drm request 3

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > But none of that changes my basic objections. I didn't ask for nouveau to
    > be merged as staging - I asked it to be merged because a major distro uses
    > it.

    Put another way: the issue of whether _I_ happen to see this personally or
    not is kind of irrelevant. We need testers for development kernels. And
    any time we make that hard, we lose. That's really fundamental.

    The reason distributions should push their drivers upstream, and have a
    "upstream first" model in the first place is not because of _my_ hardware.
    It's because of the fundamental fact that if people can't test upstream
    kernels (because they don't work like the distro kernel does), we end up
    in a situations where people can't sanely test current git.

    And that model simply doesn't work from a development standpoint. If you
    make it basically impossible for people to upgrade kernels, and if you
    take away their ability to bisect bugs, you're going to cause the quality
    of development to go down.

    Linus

      Last update: 2010-03-04 20:03    [W:0.023 / U:89.868 seconds]