SubjectRe: [git pull] drm request 3

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> When you asked that nouveau was merged, people explicitly told you that
> the reason it hadn't been was because the interface was unstable and
> userspace would break. You asked that it be merged anyway, and now
> you're unhappy because the interface has changed and userspace has
> broken?

How hard is it to understand basic kernel development rules?

Nouveau was in Fedora-12. In fact, it was in Fedora-11 too afaik. People
can hide behind all the "staging" and "I asked for it" things they like,
but that doesn't change simple basic facts: distros should make sure
drivers get merged up-stream, and people end up depending on them.

Btw, I'm hoping some of this pain goes away for me, because I expect to
get rid of the shitty nVidia card reasonably soon. The fact that my main
box had a power supply that literally _required_ a power-sucking-piece-
of-sh*t-graphics card has been painful to me.

But none of that changes my basic objections. I didn't ask for nouveau to
be merged as staging - I asked it to be merged because a major distro uses
it.

Linus

  Last update: 2010-03-04 19:59    [W:0.165 / U:2.392 seconds]