SubjectRe: Linux kernel - Libata bad block error handling to user mode program
From
I am using 4k aligned buffers for writing and reading.

Kernel / driver catches the error during the write cycle and I can get
the error messages about the media being bad or sector i/o errors. But
it is not propagated to the program and write always passes (even in
the case of the device being out of control. (i.e., the device fails
to respond to any further open / read / write queries and inaccessible
from the core). Isn't the error has to be notified to the program that
makes the call?

Reading is a completely different scenario and I am disabling the
read-ahead cache completely with fadvise call.

hdparm is good, but I don't want to use the internal ATA SECURE ERASE
because I can never get the amount of bad sectors the drive had.