    SubjectRe: Config NO_BOOTMEM breaks my amd64 box

    * James Morris <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Yes, it was happening with -rc3.
    > >
    > > Could you please send the bootlog that Yinghai asked for, plus also one that
    > > you get with NO_BOOTMEM turned off (for comparison)?
    > I don't have the old boot logs, and have since upgraded the system
    > further.

    Please, could you send any bootlog then that we could work from? That way we
    could check the memory layout and guess the rough shape of the early
    allocations, etc.

    > IIRC, the boot was failing after not being able to find the root fs
    > (ext3/lvm/raid0). I thought it was a dracut issue, but it seemed to be
    > fixed by enabling bootmem.

    Ok - initrd unpack failing or initial mount failing is consistent with the
    initrd getting corrupted by overlapping early reservations due to allocator

    > > Also, when did you first hit this bug? This code has been upstream for
    > > almost a month, and it was in linux-next before that - so you should have
    > > hit this much sooner. A rough timeframe would suffice. I suppose you were
    > > booting upstream kernels during the merge window as well?
    > In this case, in the last few days (also when I first saw or noticed the
    > bootmem option). I was booting relatively recent linus kernels during the
    > merge window, although my main work was being done on an older upstream
    > kernel.

    Ok, so it's not an old regression but possibly a bug in one of the fixes. Not

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-04-01 01:05    [W:0.034 / U:8.064 seconds]