    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Ambient Light Sensors subsystem
    From
    >> Sure, you migth use it to turn up the lights too. But how is that
    >> different from having a switch to do the same? Again, it doesn't sound
    >> that different from a key to me.
    >
    > I guess for me the distinction is that the event was not caused by an
    > action of a human being but by change in environment.
    >
    > Also, if we decide that input layer is the best place for such devices,
    > it should not be a key but absolute event, ABS_LIGHT_LEVEL or something.

    Agreed, a key is not the best approach. We currently have been hacking
    around it by using ABS_MISC, which I know is wrong.

    >> The thing is, if the choice is about a whole new subsystem just for some
    >> silly light sensor logic, I'd _much_ rather see the much simpler - and
    >> more useful - approach of just considering it an input event.
    >>
    >> It happens in the same kind of situations, it has the same kinds of timing
    >> issues (ie we're not talking streaming megabytes of data), and it has the
    >> same kind of users (ie a lightsensor really would be used along with
    >> something that cares about input).
    >>
    >> I agree that that's not true in many other situations. A cable insertion
    >> event is about the networking, not about some independent input. The kind
    >> of application that cares about network cable presense is _not_ the kind
    >> of app that would care about keyboard input. Same goes for voltage.
    >
    > What about magnetometers, accelerometers and so forth? I still do not
    > think they are pure input layer devices although it is possible to build
    > a bridge modules so they could plug into input framework if desired.

    Actually, accelerometers fit into that model fine. They have some
    variable number of absolute axes (3, 6, etc.).

    --Dima

      Last update: 2010-03-03 22:41    [W:3.355 / U:0.112 seconds]