SubjectRe: what the patches do Re: [RFC 10/15] PM / Hibernate: user, implement user_ops reader
Date
On Thursday 25 March 2010, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 26/03/10 07:14, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 March 2010, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> On 25/03/10 16:30, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Just picking up on that bracketed part: Can we flag the userland
> >> interface (and uswsusp) as being planned for eventual removal now... or
> >> at least agree to work toward that?
> >
> > No, we can't.
> >
> >> I'm asking because if we're going to make a go of getting the in-kernel
> >> code in much better shape, and we have Rafael, Jiri and I - and you? -
> >> all pulling in the same direction to improve it, there's going to come a
> >> point (hopefully not too far away) where uswsusp is just making life too
> >> difficult, and getting rid of it will be a big help.
> >
> > We're not dropping user space interfaces used by every distro I know of.
>
> So what's your long term plan then?

First, improve the in-kernel thing, second, switch people to it, _then_ remove
the s2disk interface (after we're reasonably sure it's not used by any major
distro) and _finally_ simplify things after it's been removed.

Does that sound reasonable?

Rafael

  Last update: 2010-03-25 21:29    [W:0.111 / U:0.244 seconds]