SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

* Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> wrote:

> > I think you didnt understand my point. I am talking about 'perf kvm top'
> > hanging if Qemu hangs.
>
> Use non-blocking I/O, report that guest as dead. No point in profiling it,
> it isn't making any progress.

Erm, at what point do i decide that a guest is 'dead' versus 'just lagged due
to lots of IO' ?

Also, do you realize that you increase complexity (the use of non-blocking
IO), just to protect against something that wouldnt happen if the right
solution was used in the first place?

> > With a proper in-kernel enumeration the kernel would always guarantee the
> > functionality, even if the vcpu does not make progress (i.e. it's "hung").
> >
> > With this implemented in Qemu we lose that kind of robustness guarantee.
>
> If qemu has a bug in the resource enumeration code, you can't profile one
> guest. If the kernel has a bug in the resource enumeration code, the system
> either panics or needs to be rebooted later.

This is really simple code, not rocket science. If there's a bug in it we'll
fix it. On the other hand a 500KLOC+ piece of Qemu code has lots of places to
hang, so that is a large cross section.

Ingo

  Last update: 2010-03-22 21:33    [W:0.233 / U:0.684 seconds]