SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

* Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/22/2010 07:27 PM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> >
> > It's kinda funny to see people argue that having an external repository is
> > not a problem and that it's not a big deal if building something from the
> > repository is slightly painful as long as it doesn't require a PhD when we
> > have _real world_ experience that it _does_ limit developer base in some
> > cases. Whether or not that applies to kvm remains to be seen but I've yet
> > to see a convincing argument why it doesn't.
>
> qemu has non-Linux developers. Not all of their contributions are relevant
> to kvm but some are. If we pull qemu into tools/kvm, we lose them.

Qemu had very few developers before KVM made use of it - i know it because i
followed the project prior KVM.

So whatever development activitity Qemu has today, it's 99% [WAG] attributable
to KVM. It might have non-Linux contributors, but they wouldnt be there if it
wasnt for all the Linux contributors ...

Furthermore, those contributors wouldnt have to leave - they could simply use
a different Git URI ...

Ingo

  Last update: 2010-03-22 18:41    [W:0.531 / U:0.228 seconds]