SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 09:31:21PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Lets see one example of that thought process in action: Oprofile.

Since you are talking so much about oProfile in this thread I think it
is important to mention that the problem with oProfile was not the
repository separation.

The problem was (and is) that the kernel and the user-space parts are
maintained by different people who dont talk to each other or have a
direction where they want to go with the project. Basically the reason
of the oProfile failure is a disfunctional community. I told the
kernel-maintainer several times to also maintain user-space but he
didn't want that.

The situation with KVM is entirely different. Avi commits to kvm.git and
qemu-kvm.git so he maintains both. Anthony is working to integrate the
qemu-kvm changes into upstream qemu. Further these people work very
closely together and the community around KVM works well too. The
problems that oProfile has are not even in sight for KVM.

Joerg

  Last update: 2010-03-22 12:13    [W:0.428 / U:0.296 seconds]