    SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
    On 03/21/2010 05:00 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > If that is the theory then it has failed to trickle through in practice. As
    > you know i have reported a long list of usability problems with hardly a look.
    > That list could be created by pretty much anyone spending a few minutes of
    > getting a first impression with qemu-kvm.

    I think the point you're missing is that your list was from the
    perspective of someone looking at a desktop virtualization solution that
    had was graphically oriented.

    As Avi has repeatedly mentioned, so far, that has not been the target
    audience of QEMU. The target audience tends to be: 1) people looking to
    do server virtualization and 2) people looking to do command line based
    development.

    Usually, both (1) and (2) are working on machines that are remotely
    located. What's important to these users is that VMs be easily
    launchable from the command line, that there is a lot of flexibility in
    defining machine types, and that there is a programmatic way to interact
    with a given instance of QEMU. Those are the things that we've been
    focusing on recently.

    The reason we don't have better desktop virtualization support is
    simple. No one is volunteering to do it and no company is funding
    development for it.

    When you look at something like VirtualBox, what you're looking at is a
    long ago forked version of QEMU with a GUI added focusing on desktop
    virtualization.

    There is no magic behind adding a better, more usable GUI to QEMU. It
    just takes resources.

    I understand that you're trying to make the point that without catering
    to the desktop virtualization use case, we won't get as many developers
    as we could. Personally, I don't think that argument is accurate. If
    you look at VirtualBox, it's performance is terrible. Having a nice GUI
    hasn't gotten them the type of developers that can improve their
    performance.

    No one is arguing that we wouldn't like to have a nicer UI. I'd love to
    merge any patch like that.

    Regards,

    Anthony Liguori

      Last update: 2010-03-22 00:53    [W:2.067 / U:0.536 seconds]