    SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

    * Avi Kivity <> wrote:

    > On 03/21/2010 09:59 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > >
    > >Frankly, i was surprised (and taken slightly off base) by both Avi and Anthony
    > >suggesting such a clearly inferior "add a demon to the guest space" solution.
    > >It's a usability and deployment non-starter.
    > It's only clearly inferior if you ignore every consideration against it.
    > It's definitely not a deployment non-starter, see the tons of daemons that
    > come with any Linux system. [...]

    Avi, please dont put arguments into my mouth that i never made.

    My (clearly expressed) argument was that:

    _a new guest-side demon is a transparent instrumentation non-starter_

    What is so hard to understand about that simple concept? Instrumentation is
    good if it's as transparent as possible.

    Of course lots of other features can be done via a new user-space package ...

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-03-21 22:03    [W:0.020 / U:36.416 seconds]