SubjectRe: [Patch] fix MTD CFI/LPDDR flash driver huge latency bug
On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 14:24 +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> > > I mean split the memcpy into multiple smaller memcpys, so that the
> > > total time in each memcpy is limited to something reasonable.
> > >
> > > The check in cond_resched() is fast, especially once cached. memcpy
> > > speed depends a lot on the attached flash and how everything's
> > > configured, varying from 2.5MB/s up to hundreds of MB/s. So how about
> > > doing cond_resched() every 256 bytes?
> > >
> > > -- Jamie
> >
> > I thoght about this aporoach and i don't like this idea. Why not using a
> > preemptible kernel?
>
> Because it introduces too many risks to enable CONFIG_PREEMPT in a
> stable rolled out device which isn't using it already. Especially on
> devices where it's not well tested by other people, and with drivers
> that nobody ever used with CONFIG_PREEMPT before.
>
> And because CONFIG_PREEMPT isn't always better. (Why do you think
> it's a config option?)
>
> As a bug fix for observed high scheduling latency when a flash I/O is
> occurring, splitting the memcpys is a good choice. I will be trying
> it on my kernels, even if it doesn't get mainlined. Thanks for the idea ;-)

Rather than pulling a number our of our posterior like "every 256 bytes"
which might _really_ screw up performance of some architectures' memcpy
routines, I suspect we might want the platform to provide an optimised
"sleepable_memcpy" function which does it at whatever interval is
appropriate for the memcpy routine in use. Or magically makes it
preemptable. Or uses a DMA engine. Or whatever.

I wonder where else we could use such a function...

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@intel.com Intel Corporation

  Last update: 2010-03-19 09:31    [W:0.073 / U:0.264 seconds]