SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

* John Kacur <jkacur@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
> >
> > * Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> This has nothing todo with them being in separate source repos. We could
> >> update QEMU to new major feature releaes with the same frequency in a Fedora
> >> release, but we delibrately choose not to rebase the QEMU userspace because
> >> experiance has shown the downside from new bugs / regressions outweighs the
> >> benefit of any new features.
> >>
> >> The QEMU updates in stable Fedora trees, now just follow the minor bugfix
> >> release stream provided by QEMU & those arrive in Fedora with little
> >> noticable delay.
> >
> > That is exactly what i said: Qemu and most user-space packages are on a
> > 'slower' update track than the kernel: generally updated for minor releases.
> >
> > My further point was that the kernel on the other hand gets updated more
> > frequently and as such, any user-space tool bits hosted in the kernel repo get
> > updated more frequently as well.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > ? ? ? ?Ingo
>
> Just to play devil's advocate, let's not mix up the development model with
> the distribution model. There is nothing to stop packagers and distributors
> from providing separate kernel "proper" packages and perf tools packages.
>
> It might even make good sense assuming backwards compatibility for distros
> that have conservative policies about new kernel versions to provide newer
> perf tools packages with older kernels.

Of course. Some distros are also very conservative about updating the kernel
at all.

I'm mostly talking about the distros that are at the frontier of kernel
development: those with fresh packages, those which provide eager
bleeding-edge testers and developers.

Ingo

  Last update: 2010-03-18 15:15    [W:0.248 / U:0.040 seconds]