SubjectRe: [patch 3/3] genirq: introduce IRQF ALLOW NESTED flag for request irq()
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:56:19 +0100 (CET), Thomas Gleixner
<tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

Hi Thomas,

> In general I have no objections, but one thing bothers me. We have no
> way to let a driver know whether it runs in a nested threaded context
> or in hard irq context. There might be (future) drivers which would be
> happy to know that to apply context dependent optimizations etc.
>
> What about a new function which solves your problem and returns that
> information ? Something along the line:
>
> int request_any_context_irq(....)
> {
> if (desc->status & IRQ_NESTED_THREAD) {
> ret = request_threaded_irq();
> if (!ret)
> ret = IRQ_IS_NESTED;
>
> } else {
> ret = IRQ_IS_NONTHREADED;
> else
> ret = IRQ_IS_THREADED;
>
> }
> return ret;
> }
>
> You get the idea, right ?
>
> It's a bit more code, but less magic and more flexible for further use
> cases.

What about the attached (sorry, webmail crap) patch? I deliberately left
IS_THREADED out of the picture, as I have the feeling that the caller has
to know if it really wants a threaded handler, and I couldn't see a way to
guess its intent.

Please note that this patch has only been compile-tested, as I'm traveling
for the rest of the week and don't have access to my boards.

Thanks,

M.
--
Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?