SubjectRe: gcc and kernel build trouble report
Keith Mannthey writes:
> Hello,
>
> At the start of the week I moved kernels forwarded. I tried
> 2.6.34-rc1 and 2.6.33-git15. The lpfc fiber channel driver was failing
> to load and generating a hardware level pci bus fault that was resetting
> the server. There is a small thread on linux-scsi from when I started.
>
> Tried forward porting know working versions of the driver to the new
> kernels but it did not fix the problem. I have to reason to suspect the
> actual code in the driver is not really involved with the issue.
>
> I booted whole older kernels until I sorted out that somewhere post
> 2.6.33 stock that issue started. I am not 100% sure where in the kernel
> commits the problem starts I just know if is after 2.6.33.
>
> It was identified that an alternate .config file worked and I decided
> to dig on the config options.
>
> I narrowed the config change down to:
>
> CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
>
> I have to set CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y else I get a pci fault
> while failing to load the lpfc driver. As I understand this passes a
> different -O flag to the build.
>

> Relevant details:
>
> Hardware: IBM x3550m2 server. Current Intel based 2 socket system,
> nothing fancy.
>
> GCC: gcc version 4.3.4 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 152973] (SUSE Linux)
>
> Kernels: For sure, 2.6.34-rc1, 2.6.33-git15 have the problem. If the 10
> or so 2.6.33 and before kernels trees I have booted I did not encounter
> the issue.
>
> Config: CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y or bad things happen. I booted a
> ton of .config changes, 100% sure this is it, it has been triple
> checked.
>
> All in all not a fun experience and I don't really have the skills to
> fix this issue. I am going to try a different gcc version when I get a
> few cycles.
>
> Any suggestions on what to do with this gcc / kernel build issue? I
> found it a little unsettling.

Report it to SuSE, who apparently supplied the gcc-4.3.4 you're having
issues with.

You can also try using self-compiled vanilla gcc-4.3.4 or better 4.4.3.

And you can analyze the miscompilation and construct a user-mode test
case, although doing that can be difficult and time-consuming.

  Last update: 2010-03-13 12:01    [W:0.053 / U:0.592 seconds]