SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.
Date
On Thursday 11 March 2010 20:09:34 James Bottomley wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 09:28 -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > On Mar 11, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Nikanth Karthikesan wrote:
> > > I guess, what he meant was, to keep filesystem blocks aligned, even if
> > > the partition is not. Say if the partition is mis-aligned by 512-bytes,
> > > let the filesystem waste 4k-512bytes and keep it's blocks aligned. But
> > > it might be a case of over-engineering, possibly requiring disk format
> > > change.
> >
> > Ah, yes, I agree with you; that's probably what he meant.
> >
> > Sure, that's theoretically possible, but it would mean changing every
> > single filesystem, and it would require a file system format change
> > --- or at least a file system format extension.
> >
> > It would seem to be way easier to simply fix the partitioning tools to
> > do the right thing, though.
>
> Actually, it's a layering violation. The filesystem shouldn't need to
> probe the device layout ... particularly when there are complexities
> like is it logical 512 or physical, and if logical 512 on 4k does it
> have an offset exponent or not.
>
> We can transmit certain abstractions of information up the stack (like
> stripe width for RAID arrays which should be the fs optimal write size),
> but for this type of alignment, which can be completely solved at the
> partition layer, the information should really stay there and the
> filesystem should "just work".

Right. It would be layering violation and we have LVM to solve it already.

The real problem, here is just that partitioning-tools should create
partitions that can work with both XP as well as Windows7. May be distro
installers, should ask the user which compatibility he needs.

Thanks
Nikanth

  Last update: 2010-03-11 16:07    [W:0.111 / U:1.372 seconds]