    SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.
    On Thursday 11 March 2010 20:09:34 James Bottomley wrote:
    > On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 09:28 -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > > On Mar 11, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Nikanth Karthikesan wrote:
    > > > I guess, what he meant was, to keep filesystem blocks aligned, even if
    > > > the partition is not. Say if the partition is mis-aligned by 512-bytes,
    > > > let the filesystem waste 4k-512bytes and keep it's blocks aligned. But
    > > > it might be a case of over-engineering, possibly requiring disk format
    > > > change.
    > >
    > > Ah, yes, I agree with you; that's probably what he meant.
    > >
    > > Sure, that's theoretically possible, but it would mean changing every
    > > single filesystem, and it would require a file system format change
    > > --- or at least a file system format extension.
    > >
    > > It would seem to be way easier to simply fix the partitioning tools to
    > > do the right thing, though.
    > Actually, it's a layering violation. The filesystem shouldn't need to
    > probe the device layout ... particularly when there are complexities
    > like is it logical 512 or physical, and if logical 512 on 4k does it
    > have an offset exponent or not.
    > We can transmit certain abstractions of information up the stack (like
    > stripe width for RAID arrays which should be the fs optimal write size),
    > but for this type of alignment, which can be completely solved at the
    > partition layer, the information should really stay there and the
    > filesystem should "just work".

    Right. It would be layering violation and we have LVM to solve it already.

    The real problem, here is just that partitioning-tools should create
    partitions that can work with both XP as well as Windows7. May be distro
    installers, should ask the user which compatibility he needs.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-03-11 16:07    [W:0.026 / U:90.156 seconds]