SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

On Mar 11, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Nikanth Karthikesan wrote:

> I guess, what he meant was, to keep filesystem blocks aligned, even if the
> partition is not. Say if the partition is mis-aligned by 512-bytes, let the
> filesystem waste 4k-512bytes and keep it's blocks aligned. But it might be a
> case of over-engineering, possibly requiring disk format change.

Ah, yes, I agree with you; that's probably what he meant.

Sure, that's theoretically possible, but it would mean changing every single filesystem, and it would require a file system format change --- or at least a file system format extension.

It would seem to be way easier to simply fix the partitioning tools to do the right thing, though.

-- Ted