    SubjectRe: Linux Checkpoint-Restart - v19
    On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:17:00 -0500
    Oren Laadan <orenl@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > We've put a stake in the ground for our next set of checkpoint/restart
    > patches, v19. It has some great new stuff, and we put extra effort to
    > address your concerns. We would like to have the code included in -mm
    > for wider feedback and testing.
    >
    > This one is able to checkpoint/restart screen and vnc sessions, and
    > live-migrate network servers between hosts. It also adds support for
    > x86-64 (in addition to x86-32, s390x and powerpc). It is rebased to
    > kernel 2.6.33-rc8.
    >
    > Since one of your main concerns was about what is not yet implemented
    > and how complicated or ugly it will be to support that, we've put up
    > a wiki page to address that. In it there is a simple table that lists
    > what is not implemented and the anticipated solution impact, and for
    > some entries a link to more details.
    >
    > The page is here: http://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Checklist

    Does "Refuses to Checkpoint" mean that an attempt to checkpoint will
    fail, return the failure to userspace and the system continues as
    before?

    > We want to stress that the patchset is already very useful as-is. We
    > will keep working to implement more features cleanly. Some features we
    > are working on include network namespaces and device configurations,
    > mounts and mounts namespaces, and file locks. Should a complicated
    > feature prove hard to implement, users have alternatives systems like
    > kvm, until we manage to come up with a clean solution.
    >
    > We believe that maintenance is best addressed through testing. We now
    > have a comprehensive test-suite to automatically find regressions.
    > In addition, we ran LTP and the results are the same with CHECKPOINT=n
    > and =y.
    >
    > If desired we'll send the whole patchset to lkml, but the git trees
    > can be seen at:
    >
    > kernel: http://www.linux-cr.org/git/?p=linux-cr.git;a=summary
    > user tools: http://www.linux-cr.org/git/?p=user-cr.git;a=summary
    > tests suite: http://www.linux-cr.org/git/?p=tests-cr.git;a=summary

    I'd suggest waiting until very shortly after 2.6.34-rc1 then please
    send all the patches onto the list and let's get to work.

      Last update: 2010-03-01 22:39    [W:0.030 / U:0.304 seconds]