    SubjectRE: [Q] i2c-taos-evm bus driver
    On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:17 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:
    > Hi Hartley,

    Hello

    > Please send i2c-specific questions to the linux-i2c list, as specified
    > in MAINTAINERS.

    Sorry about that.

    > On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:15:26 -0500, H Hartley Sweeten wrote:
    >> Is the i2c-taos-evm bus driver broken?
    >
    > No, it works reasonably fine. I was using it myself no later than one
    > month ago. Out of curiosity, with which exact evaluation module do you
    > plan to use it?

    I'm not actually...

    I am trying to figure out how a serio driver actually gets "hooked" to a
    serial port. The i2c-taos-evm driver looked simple enough to play with
    in order to figure it out. I was trying to follow the Documentation in
    order to use it and ran into the issue below.

    >> The Documentation says to use the following to tell the kernel that
    >> the device is on the first serial port:
    >>
    >> # inputattach --taos-evm /dev/ttyS0
    >>
    >> When I try that I get:
    >>
    >> inputattach: invalid mode
    >>
    >> I checked the source for inputattach on my system (Debian 5.0) and
    >> --taos-evm is missing. And I have not been able to locate a newer
    >> version of the user-space utility.
    >>
    >> Should this driver be marked broken?
    >
    > No. What is broken is input-utils' upstream. I tried submitting patches
    > 2.5 years ago:
    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=3063&atid=303063
    >
    > As you can see, nobody took care of them. Apparently I then did not
    > even bother sending the one adding support for the TAOS EVM.

    Yeah. I did a bit of searching yesterday and it appears the user space
    tools development went stale around the end of the 2.4 - start of the 2.6
    kernel.

    > The patch in question is still applied to the openSUSE version of the
    > input-utils package. If you have access to the openSUSE build system,
    > you can see it here:
    > https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=input-utils-add-taos-evm-support.patch&package=input-utils&project=openSUSE%3A11.0

    > In case you don't, I'm attaching it too. I might add it to the patch
    > tracking system on sourceforge too. Not that I really expect upstream
    > to pick it in a timely manner, but at least other distributions would
    > see it and may decide to include it.
    >
    > Hope that helps,

    That helps. Thanks.

    Do you know if there is a way to make the connection in kernel?

    Also, do you know if there is any information on the serio stuff
    available anywhere? Other than just reading the kernel source I
    have not been able to locate anything.

    Thanks for the reply,
    Hartley

      Last update: 2010-02-09 17:41    [W:0.023 / U:62.452 seconds]