    SubjectRe: [RFC GIT PULL] perf/trace/lock optimization/scalability improvements
    On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 23:07 +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:

    > > Which brings us to the ioctl() interface, we can do the above using
    > > ioctl()s, but it seems to me we're starting to get ioctl() heavy and
    > > should be looking at alternative ways of extending this.
    > >
    > > Anybody any bright ideas?
    > >

    > Using ioctl, we can basically have such structure:
    >
    > struct perf_inject_req {
    > int start; (in)
    > int len; (in)
    > int *read; (out)
    > };
    >
    > Using an idx will often imply rewalk a whole object list from
    > the beginning, which is perfectly fine.
    >
    > If you prefer an alternate syscall, I can make it. I've been
    > told about ioctl drawbacks by the past, I personally think
    > ioctl has not only drawbacks: it avoids a proliferation
    > of syscalls. But that's how you prefer.

    One thing we could do is add a PERF_TYPE_COLLECTION and have its read()
    method do something else than regular counters would, that way we can
    use read()/lseek()/stat() fd interface. The only trouble with that is
    that doesn't use the 'regular' output buffer.

    /me goes try and come up with yet another solution..

      Last update: 2010-02-07 18:13    [W:0.020 / U:0.524 seconds]