    SubjectRe: hung bootup with "drm/radeon/kms: move radeon KMS on/off switch out of staging."
    From
    On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Andrew Morton
    <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:05:59 +0100
    > Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
    >> Regressions are not limited to 'same config' kernels, last i checked. If that
    >> has changed (or if i'm misunderstanding it) then it would be nice to hear a
    >> clarification about that from Linus.
    >>
    >> The way i understand it is that there are narrow exceptions from the
    >> regression rules, such as completely new drivers for which there can be no
    >> prior expectation of stability by users. (but for even them we are generally
    >> on the safer side to list bugs in them as regressions as well - especially if
    >> we expect many users to enable it.)
    >>
    >> AFAIK there's no exception for new sub-features of existing facilities or
    >> drivers, even if it's default-disabled.
    >>
    >> This issue materially affects quite a few bugs i'm handling as a maintainer.
    >> Many of them are under default-off config options - most new aspects to
    >> existing code are introduced in such a way. It would remove quite a bit of
    >> urgent-workload from my workflow if i could strike them from Rafael's list
    >> and could deprioritize them as "plain bugs", to be fixed as time permits.
    >>
    >> IMHO it would be rather counter-productive to kernel quality if we did that
    >> kind of regression-lawyering though.
    >
    > Yes, it's mainly semantics.
    >
    > From the user's point of view
    >
    > kernel N: boots, works, plays nethack
    > kernel N+1: goes splat
    >
    > That kernel regressed for that user.  He'll shrug and will go back to
    > kernel N and we lost an N+1 tester.  And the distros who ship N+1 get a
    > lot of hack work to do.
    >
    > If the feature is this buggy, it was wrong to make it accessible in Kconfig.

    That's why some features are marked as _experimental_ and disabled by
    default. If the feature is not marked as such, then yeah, I would
    consider it a regression.

    --
    Felipe Contreras