    SubjectRe: inodes: Support generic defragmentation
    On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > Well what I described is to do the slab pinning from the reclaim path
    > (rather than from slab calling into the subsystem). All slab locking
    > basically "innermost", so you can pretty much poke the slab layer as
    > much as you like from the subsystem.

    Reclaim/defrag is called from the reclaim path (of the VM). We could
    enable a call from the fs reclaim code into the slab. But how would this
    work?

    > After that, LRU on slabs should be fairly easy. Slab could provide a
    > private per-slab pointer for example that is managed by the caller.
    > Subsystem can then call into slab to find the objects.

    Sure with some minor changes we could have a call that is giving you the
    list of neighboring objects in a slab, while locking it? Then you can look
    at the objects and decide which ones can be tossed and then do another
    call to release the objects and unlock the slab.

      Last update: 2010-02-04 18:17    [W:0.043 / U:29.172 seconds]