    SubjectRe: inodes: Support generic defragmentation
    On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > Well what I described is to do the slab pinning from the reclaim path
    > (rather than from slab calling into the subsystem). All slab locking
    > basically "innermost", so you can pretty much poke the slab layer as
    > much as you like from the subsystem.

    Reclaim/defrag is called from the reclaim path (of the VM). We could
    enable a call from the fs reclaim code into the slab. But how would this

    > After that, LRU on slabs should be fairly easy. Slab could provide a
    > private per-slab pointer for example that is managed by the caller.
    > Subsystem can then call into slab to find the objects.

    Sure with some minor changes we could have a call that is giving you the
    list of neighboring objects in a slab, while locking it? Then you can look
    at the objects and decide which ones can be tossed and then do another
    call to release the objects and unlock the slab.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-02-04 18:17    [W:0.021 / U:4.400 seconds]