SubjectRe: [RFC Patch] net: reserve ports for applications using fixed port numbers
Octavian Purdila wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 February 2010 06:30:07 you wrote:
>
>> This patch introduces /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_reserved_ports,
>> it can be used like ip_local_port_range, but this is used to
>> reserve ports for third-party applications which use fixed
>> port numbers within ip_local_port_range.
>>
>> This only affects the applications which call socket functions
>> like bind(2) with port number 0, to prevent the kernel getting the ports
>> within the specified range for them. For applications which use fixed
>> port number, it will have no effects.
>
> It also affects the case where applications do connect, without previously
> doing bind, right?

Yeah, I forgot to mention this, sorry.

>> Any comments are welcome.
>
> I think it might be useful to allow setting individual ports as reserved, not
> only ranges, for example by using a bitmap.

This is a good idea, but I am not sure if this will be overkill? :-/
Also, using bitmap is not friendly to sysctl interface, I am afraid.

Thanks!

  Last update: 2010-02-04 04:23    [W:3.818 / U:0.004 seconds]