SubjectRE: Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks
Date

>> Given that Linus was once talking about the performance penalties of PAE and HIGHMEM64G, perhaps you'd find these benchmarks done by Phoronix of interest:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae
>>

> The big difference isn't between HIGHMEM4G (no PAE) and HIGHMEM64G
> (PAE), it's between HIGHMEM and !HIGHMEM. That cutoff is ~892 MB for a
> stock 32-bit kernel.
BTW, Linus posted this about HIGHMEM and PAE:
http://www.realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=detail&id=78966&threadid=78766&roomid=2
A few corrections though. HIMEM.SYS was never about memory windowing, EMS was.
The way the 286 could access 16MB of memory was plain old segmentation, just in a different way than EMS did.
And the main issue with PAE in Windows was driver issues, I think, which is why when they enabled PAE to get the NX bit, they limited physical address space to 32-bit on client versions of Windows.

Yuhong Bao

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/

  Last update: 2010-03-01 02:33    [W:0.121 / U:0.936 seconds]