    SubjectRe: [ users] XZ Migration discussion
    On Sunday 2010-02-14 10:56, Andi Kleen wrote:

    >> With xz you have just one C/C++ implementation with a single library with
    >> an undocumented API for C/C++ programmers.
    >... which is not even widely deployed. I did a quick survey and none of
    >my systems (none of which terrible old and not particularly embedded)
    >have it installed and for most them there's only "lzma-utils" in the
    >distribution package repositories which I understand is not compatible.
    >I would basically need to download the source by hand and install
    >it like back in the bad old "unix with all useful commands missing"
    >HP-UX/Solaris/etc. days.

    When was the last time you compiled a Linux kernel on HP-UX or Solaris?
    I think others did that first (me being along the party), and quite
    frankly, the plain Solaris without CSW has quickly-reachable limits
    even for non-kernels.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-02-19 01:03    [W:0.020 / U:51.736 seconds]