SubjectRe: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion
On Sunday 2010-02-14 10:56, Andi Kleen wrote:

>> With xz you have just one C/C++ implementation with a single library with
>> an undocumented API for C/C++ programmers.
>
>... which is not even widely deployed. I did a quick survey and none of
>my systems (none of which terrible old and not particularly embedded)
>have it installed and for most them there's only "lzma-utils" in the
>distribution package repositories which I understand is not compatible.
>
>I would basically need to download the source by hand and install
>it like back in the bad old "unix with all useful commands missing"
>HP-UX/Solaris/etc. days.

When was the last time you compiled a Linux kernel on HP-UX or Solaris?
I think others did that first (me being along the party), and quite
frankly, the plain Solaris without CSW has quickly-reachable limits
even for non-kernels.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans