    SubjectRe: NO_HZ migration of TCP ack timers
    Anton Blanchard <anton@samba.org> writes:

    > echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/timer_migration
    >
    > makes the problem go away.
    >
    > I think the problem is the CPU is most likely to be idle when an rx networking
    > interrupt comes in. It seems the wrong thing to do to migrate any ack timers
    > off the current cpu taking the interrupt, and with enough networks we train
    > wreck transferring everyones ack timers to the nohz load balancer cpu.

    If the nohz balancer CPU is otherwise idle, shouldn't it have enough
    cycles to handle acks for everyone? Is the problem the cache line
    transfer time?

    But yes if it's non idle the migration might need to spread out
    to more CPUs.

    > What should we do? Should we use mod_timer_pinned here? Or is this an issue

    Sounds like something that should be controlled by the cpufreq governour's
    idle predictor? Only migrate if predicted idle time is long enough.
    It's essentially the same problem as deciding how deeply idle to put
    a CPU. Heavy measures only pay off if the expected time is long enough.

    > other areas might see (eg the block layer) and we should instead avoid
    > migrating timers created out of interrupts.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2010-02-18 09:11    [W:0.020 / U:30.468 seconds]