SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
On 02/17/2010 10:46 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> well at the moment it takes less than two seconds until init takes over.
>
> Adding .5 seconds is a lot. And loading the initrd and changing root isn't
> free either, true?
>
> I remember well all the noise in the past about making linux booting faster.
> So why slow it down with an initrd - especially if you can do without?

Note that an extremely lightweight initramfs can quite possibly be
faster than doing it in the kernel, just because userspace is so much
less constrained. I was hoping klibc would catch on for this stuff, but
it hasn't as much as I'd like.

-hpa

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans