    SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
    On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:26:46PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

    > That's simply not true, at least not for Debian. If you actually use the
    > distro tools [1] the only assumptions are made at kernel *installation*
    > time, not at kernel build time.

    And that's why network-booted diskless clients and virtual guests have
    all sort of useless modules loaded; the HW where the kernel package was
    installed in this case is very different from the HW where the kernel
    will run. If only there were a switch to prohibit ever looking at the
    current machine's configuration when generating the initramfs...

    > I've been using initramfs-tools generated initrds for years without
    > problems, and that includes "root on LVM on LUKS encrypted partition"
    > and "root on LVM on RAID" setups.

    I've tried a couple of times to use a Debian-built initramfs with a
    custom built kernel. The kernel worked fine without an initramfs (it had
    everything built in), but it did not boot with the initramfs.

    Gabor

      Last update: 2010-02-17 21:57    [W:0.049 / U:29.920 seconds]