SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:26:46PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> That's simply not true, at least not for Debian. If you actually use the
> distro tools [1] the only assumptions are made at kernel *installation*
> time, not at kernel build time.

And that's why network-booted diskless clients and virtual guests have
all sort of useless modules loaded; the HW where the kernel package was
installed in this case is very different from the HW where the kernel
will run. If only there were a switch to prohibit ever looking at the
current machine's configuration when generating the initramfs...

> I've been using initramfs-tools generated initrds for years without
> problems, and that includes "root on LVM on LUKS encrypted partition"
> and "root on LVM on RAID" setups.

I've tried a couple of times to use a Debian-built initramfs with a
custom built kernel. The kernel worked fine without an initramfs (it had
everything built in), but it did not boot with the initramfs.

Gabor

  Last update: 2010-02-17 21:57    [W:0.292 / U:0.380 seconds]