SubjectRe: [patch -mm 4/9 v2] oom: remove compulsory panic_on_oom mode
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 19:08:17 +1100
Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de> wrote:

> > > Well memory controller was added later, wasn't it? So if you think
> > > that's a bug then a fix to panic on memory controller ooms might
> > > be in order.
> > >

> > But what about the existing memcg users who set panic_on_oom == 2 and
> > don't expect the memory controller to be influenced by that?
>
> But that was a bug in the addition of the memory controller. Either the
> documentation should be fixed, or the implementation should be fixed.

I'll add a documentation to memcg. As

"When you exhaust memory resource under memcg, oom-killer may be invoked.
But in this case, the system never panics even when panic_on_oom is set."

Maybe I should add "memcg_oom_notify (netlink message or file-decriptor or some".
Because memcg's oom is virtual oom, automatic management software can show
report to users and can do fail-over. I'll consider something useful for
memcg oom-fail-over instead of panic. In the simplest case, cgroup's notiifer
file descriptor can be used.

Thanks,
-Kame

  Last update: 2010-02-16 09:17    [W:0.097 / U:1.604 seconds]