    SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
    On 22:06 Tue 16 Feb     , Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
    > On Dienstag 16 Februar 2010, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
    > > >
    > > > which makes 1.x format useless for everybody who does not want to deal
    > > > with initrd/initramfs.
    > >
    > > You make this sound like some major big deal. are you running your own
    > > distribution? In most cases mkinitrd does the right thing when you "make
    > > install" the kernel, and if you are doing something in the build so
    > > complex that it needs options, you really should understand the options
    > > and be sure you're doing what you want.
    > >
    > > Generally this involves preloading a module or two, and if you need it
    > > every time you probably should have built it in, anyway.
    > >
    > > My opinion...
    >
    > I am running my own kernels - and of course everything that is needed to boot
    > and get the basic system up is built in. Why should I make the disk drivers
    > modules?
    > That does not make sense.

    I agree that it makes little sense to make something a module when you
    can't unload it anyway, but...

    > And the reason is simple: even when the system is completely fucked up, I want
    > a kernel that is able to boot until init=/bin/bb takes over.

    I put a complete set of recovery tools into my initramfses so that when
    the system is completely fucked up, I have a kernel that is able to boot
    until rdinit=/bin/zsh (or /bin/bb, if you prefer) takes over.

    This has the added advantage of working when the root filesystem cannot
    be mounted at all: a scenario which does not seem too far-fetched when
    the filesystem is located on a raid array.

    --
    Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)

      Last update: 2010-02-16 23:03    [W:0.021 / U:0.396 seconds]