    SubjectRe: [ users] XZ Migration discussion
    Pavel Machek wrote:
    > On Sun 2010-02-14 18:33:49, Stefan Richter wrote:
    >> Seriously, getting xz support on
    >> Windows is just as easy or as difficult as getting gz support.
    > Sorry, but I just don't think that's true.

    Although it is. :-)

    > No more windows systems
    > here. On android, gzip is supported, xzip is not. Debian machine
    > supports both, but gzip was preinstalled and I had to pull xzip. (This
    > does not help either:
    > root@amd:~# apt-cache search xzip
    > xzip - Interpreter of Infocom-format story-files

    Considering that xz support is available even on niche systems like
    Amiga OS and BeOS (via p7zip if not by other means) and xz-utils proper
    build even on DOS, OpenVMS and other systems, how hard can it be to
    obtain an xz decompressor on Android, Debian, or Ubuntu¹? (¹About which
    there was a note somewhere else in this thread that there is a conflict
    between xz-utils and lzma-utils... That's basically because the former
    supersede the latter.)

    The name confusion between xz-utils and xzip can be avoided if you
    search for the package in a package manager which shows package
    categories (archivers vs. games).
    Stefan Richter