SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
On 02/15/2010 04:27 PM, Neil Brown wrote:

> When mdadm defaults to 1.0 for a RAID1 it prints a warning to the effect that
> the array might not be suitable to store '/boot', and requests confirmation.
>
> So I assume that the people who are having this problem either do not read,
> or are using some partitioning tool that runs mdadm under the hood using
> "--run" to avoid the need for confirmation. It would be nice to confirm if
> that was the case, and find out what tool is being used.

My guess is that they are using the latter. However, some of it is
probably also a matter of not planning ahead, or not understanding the
error message. I'll forward one email privately (don't want to forward
a private email to a list.)

> If an array is not being used for /boot (or /) then I still think that 1.1 is
> the better choice as it removes the possibility for confusion over partition
> tables.
>
> I guess I could try defaulting to 1.2 in a partition, and 1.1 on a
> whole-device. That might be a suitable compromise.

In some ways, 1.1 is even more toxic on a whole-device, since that means
that it is physically impossible to boot off of it -- the hardware will
only ever read the first sector (MBR).

> How do people cope with XFS??

There are three options:

a) either don't boot from it (separate /boot);
b) use a bootloader which installs in the MBR and
hopefully-unpartitioned disk areas (e.g. Grub);
c) use a nonstandard custom MBR.

Neither (b) or (c), of course, allow for chainloading from another OS
install and thus are bad for interoperability.

-hpa

  Last update: 2010-02-16 02:27    [W:0.165 / U:0.564 seconds]