SubjectRe: x86: get rid of the insane TIF_ABI_PENDING bit
On 02/15/2010 11:41 AM, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> I suspect the purpose of TS_COMPAT is actually so you can ptrace() the
>> newly exec'd process (and see it as a 32-bit process!) before it returns
>> to userspace. The comment, obviously, is wrong -- that again refers to
>> TIF_IA32.
>
> I don't follow you. TS_COMPAT does not affect ptrace.
> It affects syscall-audit, but only at syscall entry time.
> It affects asm/syscall.h accessors, but ptrace does not use those.
> It affects whatever uses is_compat_task(), but I can't see anything
> where that matters except inside some particular syscall or for
> syscall restart after signals.
>
> TS_COMPAT does not affect the syscall return machinery itself.
> The return path just follows from the particular entry path.

It's entirely possible it is completely superfluous. The patch in
question only moves the setting. I don't know what gdb or strace use to
distinguish a 32-bit and a 64-bit process, which is why I thought it
might have something to do with ptrace.

-hpa