    SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
    From
    On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
    <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:
    >> I remember hearing that 1.x had /no/ plans for kernel level
    >> auto-detection ever.  That can be accomplished in early-userspace
    >> leaving the code in the kernel much less complex, and therefore far
    >> more reliable.
    >
    > Yes, it is far more reliable kernel side, if only because it doesn't do
    > anything.
    >
    > But the userspace reliability is _not_ good.  initrds are a source of
    > problems the moment things start to go wrong, and that's when they are not
    > the problem themselves.
    >
    > And the end result is a system that needs manual intervention to get its
    > root filesystem back.
    >
    > In my experience, every time we moved critical codepaths to userspace, we
    > ended up decreasing the *overall* system reliability.
    >
    > --
    >  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
    >  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
    >  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
    >  Henrique Holschuh

    Maybe you'd like a simple, easy to customize initramfs creator.
    That's exactly what I was aiming for when I made AEUIO
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/aeuio There are some things that
    could use improvement, but if your system can boot without loading
    modules it should be more than sufficient even across kernel versions.