SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:
>> I remember hearing that 1.x had /no/ plans for kernel level
>> auto-detection ever.  That can be accomplished in early-userspace
>> leaving the code in the kernel much less complex, and therefore far
>> more reliable.
> Yes, it is far more reliable kernel side, if only because it doesn't do
> anything.
> But the userspace reliability is _not_ good.  initrds are a source of
> problems the moment things start to go wrong, and that's when they are not
> the problem themselves.
> And the end result is a system that needs manual intervention to get its
> root filesystem back.
> In my experience, every time we moved critical codepaths to userspace, we
> ended up decreasing the *overall* system reliability.
> --
>  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
>  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
>  Henrique Holschuh

Maybe you'd like a simple, easy to customize initramfs creator.
That's exactly what I was aiming for when I made AEUIO There are some things that
could use improvement, but if your system can boot without loading
modules it should be more than sufficient even across kernel versions.