    SubjectRe: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion
    Hi!

    > As a matter of fact, I am advocating the use of xz while I don't have
    > it installed on most of my machines. I really don't see this as a
    > blocker.

    Eh?

    Making many people around the world install uncommon tool is not
    something that should be done lightly.

    > I have an old, slow machine here which I am going to use to perform
    > some real world testing, and I'll post the results when I'm done. But I
    > suspect that building a kernel on this machine, even a small one with
    > just the drivers it needs, will take much longer than unpacking the
    > sources. So anyone worrying about performance would rather rely on
    > cross-compilation, and in turn can afford whatever decompression tool
    > is needed.

    On zaurus, kernel compilation takes 4 hours. (I.e. "one night"). So
    that one is ... well ... done overnight.

    Untar is something I normally wait for, since you need to run
    (interactive) oldconfig after that.
    Pavel

      Last update: 2010-02-14 18:11    [W:0.020 / U:32.208 seconds]